Seeking Expressions of Interest for
Thursday 19 October – Sunday 26 November 2023
For Pop-Up Studio, Oxford Gallery will become a working artists’ studio for six weeks. This is a residency for a total of 12 artists based in the Waimakariri District. Each artist spends three weeks at Pop-Up Studio.
A shared workspace is an incubator for collegiality and collaboration. Having artists at work in our space brings it alive with creativity and activity. We know this from the brilliantly successful Open House Studio in 2020 where several artist-printmakers shared the space. Pop-Up Studio is an extension of the Open House kaupapa, widened to include artists from a range of disciplines. It promotes connection and community for artists and allows them to share the creative process and their work with our visitors.
Part 1 (weeks 1-3) from 19 October – 5 November
Part 2 (weeks 4-6) from 8 November – 26 November
Who can apply?
This opportunity is open to practicing creatives with a broad range of career experience, from emerging to established, in the Waimakariri District. You do not have to be a full-time artist but you must demonstrate that you are actively working on your practice, to be considered. We will consider all creative practitioners (visual arts, contemporary crafts, writers, animators, architects, etc.). Imagine what could happen with all of these skills in the same room!
What we offer you:
- Connection and community with other artists in a friendly, activated space and an opportunity to work collaboratively if you wish.
- The space is yours to work in and display and share your working practices with other Pop-Up Studio artists and our visitors. You will have your own studio booth and table. You can pin work to the walls within your booth.
- You can sell your work (optional). You can provide up to 3 works for sale that we will display on the front gallery wall. There is a 35% commission (inc. GST) of the retail price.).
- We are planning to provide some professional development, for which we are applying for funding:
*Learn how to create a lesson plan for a class you can deliver anywhere. We wish to grow our whanau of creative practitioners who we can call upon to deliver activities and workshops, now and into the future. We can help you to develop one or more workshops based on your practice, that you can charge for.
*An artist talk and seminar on the ‘business of art’ and time for you to reflect on your practice; what are your goals and what are the pathways to get there?
- Pop-Up Studio is split into two parts. Six artists will share the studio for three weeks. At the end of the first three weeks, those artists vacate and six new artists arrive.
- There will be a low-key social on Saturday 25 November to celebrate the end of the project.
- You have access to your studio during the gallery operating hours (unless by prior arrangement or if you’re already a Registered Volunteer with Oxford Gallery). Opening hours are Thursday – Sunday, 11am – 3pm (please note these are our current Winter opening hours and they may be extended).
There is no cost to artists for Pop-Up Studio, but a return is requested:
- You commit to being present in the space for at least one weekend day in the space during your stay. There will be a roster to ensure that there are 1-2 artists in the space every weekend.
- You deliver a 1-hour workshop, demonstration or activity for visitors as koha to the gallery community. A brief description of this and a date/time you can deliver it will form part of your application. Ideally, keep it simple and low-cost. For more involved workshops we may be able to charge participants so that you can recoup costs; we can discuss further if your application is successful.
How to apply
Click the button below to apply. We are currently accepting applications until Friday 22 September.
For further information, please email us via the Contact Us page.